Arts and Culture
If you love the theatre or taking in an art exhibition here are some ideas:
- The Grange Festival, formally Grange Park Opera, founded in 1997, has quickly established itself as one of the major music festivals in Europe's operatic summer season.
- Theatre Royal, Winchester have a busy calendar of events through the year from Drama, Opera and Music to Comedy and Children's shows, they have a stimulating and exciting programme of performances.
- The Anvil, The Haymarket and The Forge are all in Basingstoke under the Anvil Arts umbrella, they have a great range of performances on in their various venues.
- Chichester Festival Theatre have seasons of productions including musicals, plays, talks and discussions.
- Winchester Cathedral take it in turns each year with Chichester and Salisbury to play host to the Southern Cathedrals Festival, with a full programme of choral music and organ recitals.
- Yvonne Arnaud Theatre in Guildford is a busy producing and receiving house creating shows in Guildford and touring nationally with many transferring to the West End.
- Salisbury Playhouse offers a range of modern plays, workshops, backstage tours and traditional pantomime.
- The Mayflower at Southampton is one of the South's premiere theatres with a spectacular auditorium with audiences of over 400,000 per year.
- Pallant House Gallery is located in the heart of historic Chichester and has a unique selection of modern British Art, they host a variety of exhibitions, talks, shows, tours and art classes for adults and children through the year
- Southampton City Art Gallery is internationally renowned for its impressive art collection, spanning six centuries of European art history. Thousands of visitors explore the exhibitions and displays every month or attend one of the events and workshops for people of all ages.